Can you believe we’re at 100 episodes?! It’s been a slow and steady process over the past 3+ years, but consistency sure pays off! I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for listening and continuing to support me through this shift in my career from CrossFit Games athlete, to medical student, and now soon-to-be family medicine physician.
This podcast has been such a rewarding outlet for me to continue to highlight some amazing individuals in the world and share their stories and discoveries with all of you, in the hopes that their insights might positively impact your lives as well.
I wanted to do something special to celebrate this milestone, and although we have had some INCREDIBLE guests on the show over the past 3 years, it just felt like this was the appropriate time to have a more intimate conversation between me and YOU with a Q+A style episode.
In this episode we discuss:
- CrossFit Health and the CFMDL1: what it is, how I’m involved, and how you can get involved
- My take on the change in this year’s CrossFit Games format
- The need to work towards creative solutions so that low-income patients and patients with serious medical conditions can get involved in CrossFit
- Functional Medicine: what it is and how I became exposed to it
- Ways students and practitioners can get involved with Functional Medicine
- How to incorporate Functional Medicine into a standard medical practice
- The power of group visits to make our healthcare model work
- How we can take control of our own health and partner with a like-minded practitioner
- Making Functional Medicine more financially accessible
- My take on finding the healthiest way to eat given the conflicting dietary advice out there
- Food sensitivity tests: are they worthwhile?
- Nutrition and the role of quality, quantity, timing, and supplements
- My own current nutrition routine
- Other important health factors: relationships, regular activity including restorative activity, finding your purpose, sleep, stress reduction & down-regulation of the nervous system
- My stance on the Health at Every Size movement
- My current training routine
- My thoughts on returning to competition
- My tips for staying on track and prioritizing when you’re pulled in multiple directions
- How I plan to integrate CrossFit Health and Functional Medicine into my own future practice
- What I would most like to change about the current healthcare system
- CrossFit Level 1 Certificate Course
- CrossFit Docs Cure: You Don’t Have to Be Sick
- Mark Hyman
- The Institute for Functional Medicine
- IFM Online Courses
- IFM Practitioner Finder
- Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine
- Grand Rounds Video Gallery
- The Evolution of Medicine by James Maskell
- Integrative and Functional Nutrition Academy
- Unconventional Medicine by Chris Kresser
- Masters in Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine at University of Western States
- Steady MD
- KNEW Health
- True Fare Meal Delivery
- 1 in 3 U.S. Adults Are Lonely, Survey Shows
- 2019 Rogue Invitational
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating. I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #PursuingHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday.
This episode is brought to you by Thrive Market. By cutting out the middle man, Thrive Market delivers your favorite healthy food and lifestyle products to your doorstep at 25-50% lower cost than you would spend in the grocery store. Visit http://www.thrivemarket.com/ph to receive an exclusive offer from Thrive Market for being a listener of Pursuing Health: 25% off your first order + a free 30 day trial!
This episode is also brought to you by Butcher Box. Butcher Box delivers 100% grass-fed and finished beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage-breed pork directly to your doorstep, on your schedule. You can order curated or custom boxes of meat, and they always come with recipe ideas for you to explore. Visit butcherbox.com/Julie to receive an exclusive offer for being a listener of Pursuing Health: $20 off your order + a free order of bacon!
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.