“We’re so resilient as people that we can deal with a lot of stuff. And if you pull back on the intensity, and you give your body a chance to heal, we’re also remarkable healers. You know, you give yourself the right ingredients, we’ll heal from almost… I mean, from a lot. And I had to go through that experience first-hand and people watched me go through that experience and they’re like, “Marcus, what are you doing, I want to try that, what’s that thing?” and so I had to give it a name. I mean, I intentionally gave it a name to let it create an identity. And now it’s’ a couple years into it and there’s a very clear look and feel to doing functional bodybuilding workouts.” – Marcus Filly
Marcus Filly is a 6-time CrossFit Games athlete, a former medical school student, and the catalyst behind the functional bodybuilding movement. As the owner of Revival Strength, he is passionate about providing training programs to help his clients build strength and endurance without breaking down their bodies.
However, Marcus wasn’t always so sure about his path. Following his collegiate athletic career, Marcus entered medical school to pursue what he thought was his intended purpose. Instead, he found that while he appreciated the knowledge and the discipline of his medical training, a voice inside kept telling him he was on the wrong track.
After a lot of soul searching, Marcus decided to follow his heart and begin a career in fitness. In doing so, he found a new way to educate and empower people with the tools they need to begin their own pursuit of health and happiness.
Marcus and I had a great conversation about the many parallels in our lives, from medical training to the demands of being a competitive athlete. In this episode, we discuss the importance of finding your true purpose, the distinction between functional bodybuilding and other styles of training, and why lifestyle stressors are a huge consideration when it comes to earning intensity in a workout.
Topics we cover in this episode include:
- Marcus’s athletic and educational background
- The application process for med school and how his fitness experience shaped his intended career path in medicine, with a desire to focus on health
- The importance of being introspective and taking time to figure out your own path
- How periods of great stress can lead to revelations about your true purpose, and how Marcus applies his own experience to help his clients
- Marcus’s CrossFit journey from team athlete to individual Games competitor
- The factors that drove his decision to step away from competition
- Where the concept for Revival Strength came from
- His goals to create careers for his coaches and provide one-on-one attention for his clients
- The distinction between traditional CrossFit style workouts and functional bodybuilding
- The value of periodization, control points, tempo, and rest
- Marcus’s belief that you have to earn intensity in your workouts by balancing the stressors in your life
- Strategies that he employs to manage his stress and maintain balance
- Three things Marcus does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on his health
- One thing he struggles to implement that could have a big impact on his health
- What a healthy life looks like to Marcus
- The Awakening of Functional Body Building featuring Marcus Filly
- The Awakening: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
- Look Good Move Well podcast
- Chuck Carswell
- James Fitzgerald
- TJ’s Gym
- GRID League
- Annie Thorisdottir
- Katrin Davidsdottir
- Sam Briggs
- Ep 17 – Juliet and Kelly Starrett on standing desks and movement for kids
- Ep 27 Adrian Bozman on teaching CrossFit, judging at the CrossFit Games, and garage gym training
- Ep 60 – Chris Spealler on training for longevity and becoming a Master
- Ep 68 – Pat and Taz Barber on CrossFit, Coaching, and Kids
- Ep 102 – Jason Khalipa and the AMRAP Mentality
- Ep 116 – How Healing Works with Dr. Wayne Jonas
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating. I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #PursuingHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday.
This episode is brought to you by Butcher Box. Butcher Box delivers 100% grass-fed and finished beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage-breed pork directly to your doorstep, on your schedule. You can order curated or custom boxes of meat, and they always come with recipe ideas for you to explore. Visit butcherbox.com/Julie to receive an exclusive offer for being a listener of Pursuing Health: $20 off your first order and Burgers All Summer! Sign up before August 8th and receive a pack of 6 FREE burgers in every box you receive from now until October 15th.
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.