“If you have awareness, and you have this ability to regulate mood states and thinking, you have this mental agility, and then you have this ability to cultivate character and then connect deeply… you really have this life filled with this positive optimism. Hopefulness. That’s incredible, that’s really incredible. That in a nutshell is resilience. I would want everybody to have that kind of intelligence in their life. And apply it to every aspect of their life, whether it be health, or eating, or sleeping, or relationships or career or being an elite athlete, or being a cameraman at a high school game. It doesn’t really matter. The resilience is what’s going to give you that freedom, that real joy in life, that fulfillment that we’re all looking for.” – Dr. Joe Janesz
Joseph Janesz, PhD, is an Associate Staff and Director of the Outpatient Executive and Professional Program at Cleveland Clinic. He has been a Psychotherapist, Clinical Supervisor, lecturer, author and national Consultant for the past 30 years.
Dr. Janesz completed his undergraduate work at The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, and received his PhD degree from Kent State University in Kent, Ohio. His training includes couples and group therapy, performance enhancement and sports psychology, executive coaching and management and organizational consulting.
He consults with a wide range of clients in the medical, legal, financial, sports and entertainment fields and has been a Consultant to the National Football League for the past 20 years and a key player in the first NFL Players Assistance Program — the Cleveland Browns “Inner Circle Program.”
Dr. Janesz played an integral role in my own training as I prepared for the CrossFit Games. It was a pleasure to re-connect with him to learn more about his approach for helping individuals become their own personal best self and how anyone can have a Champion mindset.
*Dr. Janesz’s Bio was adapted from clevelandclinic.org
In this episode we discuss:
- What drew Dr. Janesz to psychology
- The patient populations he works with, and how he ended up doing this work
- The importance of a holistic, team approach in regards to mental health
- The common theme that Dr. Janesz sees among high-performers that are struggling
- The Third Eye
- The importance of balance in all aspects of one’s life
- How to implement mindfulness training in your own life
- How to cultivate your “yes” brain
- The effects on mental health that Dr. Janesz has witnessed as our culture changes
- Is it possible to be highly driven to succeed in one arena and still maintain balance in your life
- How high-performers can harness their talent and focus on new opportunities after retirement
- The Five Hindrances
- Ways to find motivation and purpose
- What distinguishes true champions from other high-performers
- How Dr. Janesz would build a mentally resilient human
- Three things Dr. Janesz does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on his health
- One thing he struggles to implement that could have a big impact on his health
- What a healthy life looks like to Dr. Janesz
You can follow Dr. Janesz on LinkedIn.
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating. I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #PursuingHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday.
This episode is brought to you by Thrive Market. By cutting out the middle man, Thrive Market delivers your favorite healthy food and lifestyle products to your doorstep at 25-50% lower cost than you would spend in the grocery store. Visit http://www.thrivemarket.com/ph to receive an exclusive offer from Thrive Market for being a listener of Pursuing Health: 25% off your first order + a free 30 day trial!
This episode is also brought to you by Butcher Box. Butcher Box delivers 100% grass-fed and finished beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage-breed pork directly to your doorstep, on your schedule. You can order curated or custom boxes of meat, and they always come with recipe ideas for you to explore. Visit butcherbox.com/Julie to receive an exclusive offer for being a listener of Pursuing Health: $20 off your order + a free order of bacon!
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.