“I think the biggest thing is that you’ve got to convince people that this is a metabolic disease, it’s a mitochondrial metabolic disease. Ok, so that changes the whole ground– the whole playing field of how are you gonna treat the disease. Because if it’s a metabolic disease, why are you irradiating? Because I gotta stop the tumor growth. Oh, but if I can stop it by taking away the fuels then I don’t need to do that. Now, of course… Ok, so you’re re-labeling what the disease is. And by re-labeling and providing the evidence that this is different than what we thought, and that the gene mutations are really red herrings- they’re epi-phenomena, they’re very little related to what’s going on- well, that’s a difficult pill to swallow.” – Dr. Thomas Seyfried
Thomas Seyfried, PhD is a biochemical geneticist, scientist, and professor at Boston College. For more than 25 years he has taught and conducted research in the fields of neurochemistry, neurogenetics, and cancer. Through his extensive research, Thomas has found evidence that supports the hypothesis that cancer is a metabolic disease as opposed to the mainstream belief that it is genetic in origin. He believes that this fundamental misunderstanding has led to failed treatment and prevention strategies. In his groundbreaking text, Cancer as a Metabolic Disease, Thomas explains the mechanism behind cancer development and metastasis, and he shares the scientific and clinical studies that support this unconventional theory.
I had the opportunity to chat with Dr. Seyfried at the 2018 CrossFit Health Conference in Madison, WI. In one of the most controversial episodes of Pursing Health yet, we discussed his research findings that point to metabolic therapies, including the ketogenic diet, as being an effective way to prevent, manage, and treat cancer.
In this episode we discuss:
- How Tom met Greg Glassman and became involved with CrossFit Health
- What led Tom to become a scientist, and how he got into his field of research
- His realization that the fundamental understanding of the origins of cancer may be wrong
- Why he believes the gene therapy approach of treating cancer is wrong
- How Tom is challenging others’ views on which cancer therapies are most effective
- His belief that eliminating glucose and glutamine are a more effective cancer therapy
- The types of cancer that are most metabolically responsive
- The concept of press-pulse therapy to treat tumors
- Tom’s excitement over the various mechanisms that can be employed to not only treat tumors but chronic diseases as well
- The challenge of creating a clinical trial that compares metabolic therapy to traditional cancer therapy
- How Tom believes patients can work with their doctors to drive change
- An overview of where the field of metabolic research is, and where it’s headed
- Three things Tom does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on his health
- One thing he struggles to implement that could have a big impact on his health
- What a healthy life looks like to Tom
- How Fasting & the Keto Diet Actually Fight Cancer | Dr. Thomas Seyfried, PhD
- Cancer as a Metabolic Disease: On the Origin, Management, and Prevention of Cancer, Thomas Seyfried
- Tripping over the Truth: How the Metabolic Theory of Cancer Is Overturning One of Medicine’s Most Entrenched Paradigms, Travis Christofferson
- Warburg Hypothesis
- The Charlie Foundation
- “…First Do No Harm” with Meryl Streep
- Pablo Kelly’s Story
- Radical Remission: Surviving Cancer Against All Odds, Kelly A. Turner, PhD
- The Toxins of William B. Coley and the Treatment of Bone and Soft-Tissue Sarcomas
- Cancer Moonshot
- Foundation for Metabolic Cancer Therapies
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating. I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #PursuingHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday.
This episode is brought to you by Thrive Market. By cutting out the middle man, Thrive Market delivers your favorite healthy food and lifestyle products to your doorstep at 25-50% lower cost than you would spend in the grocery store. Visit http://www.thrivemarket.com/ph to receive an exclusive offer from Thrive Market for being a listener of Pursuing Health: 25% off your first order + a free 30 day trial!
This episode is also brought to you by Butcher Box. Butcher Box delivers 100% grass-fed and finished beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage-breed pork directly to your doorstep, on your schedule. You can order curated or custom boxes of meat, and they always come with recipe ideas for you to explore. Visit butcherbox.com/Julie to receive an exclusive offer for being a listener of Pursuing Health: $20 off your order + a free order of bacon!
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.