“From a young age, I was never put… I wasn’t put on the same platform as just girls, it was everyone. It wasn’t like, ‘Oh you’re the best girl out there,’ it was, ‘How do you be the best, period,’ and stop worrying about the differences, the small differences or the obvious differences, it’s about how to be the best. And so, I just feel like that was just kind of ingrained from a young age… And also, not even just be the best, but, forget it, YOUR best, which could be excessively better than everyone else. You know what I mean? Take it to the limit. Your limit, not someone else’s limit.” – Danica Patrick
Danica Patrick is an athlete, author, television personality, and former professional race car driver who made headlines as the first woman to achieve several landmark victories on the IndyCar circuit and NASCAR. Over the course of her career, she broke gender barriers and was a vocal proponent of pushing her limits to be the best.
Despite her May 2018 retirement from racing, Danica shows no signs of slowing down. A long-time CrossFitter, she is shifting her focus to promoting health and wellness, starting with her recently published book Pretty Intense: The 90-Day Mind, Body and Food Plan that will absolutely Change your Life. Danica is also heavily involved with her wine business, Somnium Wine, and her clothing line, Warrior by Danica Patrick.
I sat down with Danica at the 2018 CrossFit Games to chat about setting new goals after retirement, her experience as a trailblazer, and how she uses a holistic approach to constantly push herself to be her very best.
In this episode we discuss:
- Danica’s CrossFit Games experience
- Her retirement from racing
- The evolution of Danica’s personal fitness and nutrition
- How CrossFit impacted her racing career
- Training for longevity and the importance of rest days
- The importance of personal experimentation
- The role sleep can play in weight loss
- Highlights of her racing career and things she looks forward to in retirement
- The qualities within herself that have allowed her to be a trailblazer
- Using positive self-talk, and how Danica prevents doubt from creeping in
- Three things Danica does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on her health
- One thing she thinks could have a big impact on her health, but that she struggles to implement
- What a healthy life looks like to Danica
- Thank you Danica: The historic career of NASCAR’s most successful female driver
- Danica Patrick Shares her Wellness Revelations
- Danica: Crossing the Line
- Eccentric Calf Raise
- Renaissance Periodization
- Auction Napa Valley event
- Danica Patrick on Hosting the ESPYs and Breaking Barriers as Female Athlete
- How Healing Works: Get Well and Stay Well Using Your Hidden Power to Heal by Wayne Jonas
- The Secret by Rhonda Bryne
- Tony Robbins seminar
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Ep 02b – Dr. Michael Canales on my Achilles injury and pursuing excellence
Ep 15 – Lewis Howes on chasing greatness
Ep 18 – Scott Panchik and his father on running an affiliate, competition, and recovering from injury
Ep 51 – Dick Costolo on Taking Risks and Finding Fitness
Ep 57 – Annie Thorisdottir and Fred Aegidius on Team Work and Individual Performance
Ep 62 – Becca Voigt: The Woman, The Myth, The Legend
Ep 70 – USA Track & Field Heptathlete Tiffeny Parker on Beating the Odds
Ep 91 – Mind Over Matter: Improving Performance in Athletics and Beyond with Sports Psychiatrist Dr. MaryEllen Eller
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating. I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #PursuingHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday.
This episode is brought to you by Thrive Market. By cutting out the middle man, Thrive Market delivers your favorite healthy food and lifestyle products to your doorstep at 25-50% lower cost than you would spend in the grocery store. Visit http://www.thrivemarket.com/ph to receive an exclusive offer from Thrive Market for being a listener of Pursuing Health: 25% off your first order + a free 30 day trial!
This episode is also brought to you by Butcher Box. Butcher Box delivers 100% grass-fed and finished beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage-breed pork directly to your doorstep, on your schedule. You can order curated or custom boxes of meat, and they always come with recipe ideas for you to explore. Visit butcherbox.com/Julie to receive an exclusive offer for being a listener of Pursuing Health: $20 off your order + a free order of bacon!
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.