“A transparent system by which people come together to share their cost is the way that things will be done in the future, and ultimately we’re trying to get to that future. And what the pool will be made up of at that time in the future, who knows…Incentivizing people to help each other is an evolutionary priority. You know that from CrossFit or otherwise, and… again, as I said earlier, if you look at the solutions that have been most successful at getting people healthy and keeping people healthy, it’s community-based solutions.” – James Maskell
James Maskell has spent the past decade encouraging a shift away from conventional western medicine and toward a wellness-centered, functional medicine model. To that end, he created Functional Forum, the world’s largest integrative medicine conference.
He’s also the founder of the Evolution of Medicine, a community e-commerce platform that provides highly curated and customized resources, tools, products, and services, making it easier and more affordable for conventional doctors to embark on a new way of delivering healthcare. James lectures internationally, and has been featured on TEDMED, Huffpost Live, TEDx and more, and contributor to Huffington Post, KevinMD, thedoctorblog and MindBodyGreen. He serves on the faculty of George Washington University’s Metabolic Medicine Institute.
In his second visit to Pursuing Health, I was excited to talk with James about his most recent project, a health cooperative called kNew Health and his upcoming kNew Vision Tour, both of which are poised to fight chronic disease through prevention and by using functional & integrative medicine.
(Bio adapted from goEvomed.com and FunctionalForum.com)
In this episode we discuss:
- The best way to showcase what is going on with health systems in America
- The driver for James’s book, The Evolution of Medicine, and what he’s seen it accomplish
- How James hopes to increase the number of doctors interested in integrative and functional medicine
- How having a micro-practice is currently the best way to practice integrative and functional medicine, and how getting started can have low overhead, which in a way parallels the CrossFit affiliate model
- How James envisions the functional medicine movement taking over despite the current shortage of primary care physicians
- The importance of addressing healthcare for people who do not have acute conditions but may be in danger of developing chronic disease
- Using nurses, health coaches, and caregivers other than doctors to promote health and provide preventative healthcare
- Incentivizing health in a way that drives patient engagement and community support
- The history behind James’s new health cooperative, kNew Health
- How kNew Health helps individuals keep their healthcare costs down
- How kNew Health uses an open ledger to prevent fraud
- James’s goal of creating a resilient pool of healthy individuals so that all different types of health risks can be accepted
- What his kNew Vision Tour will encompass and how it will encourage people to take control of their own healthcare
- How James intends to change the American healthcare model and set an example for the world of an effective chronic disease healthcare model
LEARN MORE about James’ kNew Vision for Healthcare HERE.
You can keep up with James and his work via the kNew Health website, and you can learn more about the kNew Vision Tour here. You can also check out The Evolution of Medicine podcast. Follow James on social media via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
James’s books are also available for download:
- The Evolution of Medicine: Join the Movement to Solve Chronic Disease and Fall Back in Love with Medicine
- Top 10 Ways to Save Money on Healthcare
- 2018: A kNew Era for Functional Medicine and Your Community
- Cleveland Clinic
- Parsley Health
- Robin Berzin
- Parsley Health raises $10 million to rebuild primary care
- Christian Healthcare Ministries
- Liberty Direct
- Exponential Medicine
- Institute for Functional Medicine Conference
Ep 07 – Dr. Mark Hyman on Functional Medicine, the future, and community
Ep 26 – James Maskell on Functional and Integrative Medicine and the Impact of Community on Health
Ep 35 – Coach Greg Glassman on CrossFit, Chronic Disease, and the “5 Buckets of Death”
Ep 66 – Cleveland Clinic CEO Dr. Toby Cosgrove on Lifestyle, Healthcare, and Persistence
Ep 80 – Greg Glassman on Networking CrossFit Physicians and Fighting Chronic Disease
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating. I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #PursuingHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday.
This episode is brought to you by MobilityWOD. Do you struggle to get into good positions in your training and workouts? Are your movement compensations causing you undue pain and grief? M|Wod’s belief is that every human being should be able to perform basic maintenance on themselves. Join hundreds of Olympic and World Class athletes, College and Professional Teams in the NFL, MLB, Basketball, Hockey, Rugby and Soccer by using MobilityWOD to train and compete at your best. Visit www.mobilitywod.com to receive 20% off your annual membership with code JULIEFOUCHER.
This episode is also brought to you by Siete Foods. When Veronica Garza was facing a series of major health challenges as a teenager, her entire family of seven jumped on board to help. Together, they adopted a low-inflammation, grain free diet. As a Mexican-American family living in south Texas, they couldn’t imagine life without tortillas and it wasn’t long before Veronica came up with a delicious solution and Siete Foods was born. Visit www.sietefoods.com to try some of their delicious grain free and paleo-friendly tortillas or tortilla chips yourself and use code Julie for 10% off your order.
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.