“Especially in a field like this, it’s not…it’s not just about the food that you eat. This is just the medium that I use to help people transform their lives.” – Adee Cazayoux
Adee Cazayoux has built a reputation as a nutrition expert, helping elite athletes such as Katrin Davidsdottir, Jessica Lucero, and Camille Leblanc-Bazinet dial in their nutrition to enhance athletic performance. She is the founder of Working Against Gravity, an online nutrition consulting program dedicated to helping athletes and everyday people change their body composition. Known as the “Barbell Gypsy,” Adee is an elite athlete in her own right, having earned a National medal in Olympic weightlifting.
Adee’s passion for nutrition began at age 16 when she found herself overweight and struggling to participate in the sports she had once loved. With the help of her mother and a nutritionist, she learned how to track her macronutrients and discovered the power of eating properly. After college, she completed her Precision Nutrition Level 1, and more recently, has been studying to earn her Masters in Nutrition and Human Performance.
I caught up with Adee at the 2017 CrossFit Games to talk about her nutrition philosophy, counting macros, how she came to own one of the most well-known nutrition businesses in the CrossFit world, and what tips she has to share with individuals looking to improve their diets.
In this episode we discuss:
- How nutrition applies to both athletes and those exercising a couple of times a week
- Adee’s background in youth sports and how adolescent weight gain led her to be involved in nutrition
- Her experience working with a nutritionist using macros to return to a healthy weight
- How Adee’s nutrition has changed to support her athletic goals, including eating Paleo as she started CrossFit, and then tracking macros as she shifted to weightlifting
- How Adee came to be a business owner
- How Adee identified what her business’s scope would be and what training she needed to be successful
- How Working Against Gravity uses mindset as part of their nutrition program
- How Adee developed a positive relationship with food
- The general philosophy behind macro-based eating
- The impact of one-on-one relationships/coaching and community on achieving nutrition goals
- How Adee came to work with CrossFit Games and other elite athletes, and what she has learned from working with them
- What Adee eats on a typical day
- Three things Adee does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on her health
- One thing she struggles to implement that could have a big impact on her health
- What a healthy life looks like to Adee
- 2016 Senior Canadian Weightlifting Championship
- Michael Cazayoux
- Hack’s Pack Ute
- Molly Vollmer
- Team NorCal
- Lauren Fisher
- Kara Webb
Ep 13b – Umahro Cadogan on functional nutrition for athletes and recovery from injury
Ep 22 – Brigid Titgemeier on functional nutrition
Ep 39 – Nutrition challenges and Practical Paleo with Diane Sanfilippo
Ep 48 – Jen Widerstrom: Health, Habits and Why You Are Enough
Ep 71 – The Sugar Free Revolution with Karen Thomson
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating. I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #PursuingHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday.
This episode is brought to you by MobilityWOD. Do you struggle to get into good positions in your training and workouts? Are your movement compensations causing you undue pain and grief? M|Wod’s belief is that every human being should be able to perform basic maintenance on themselves. Join hundreds of Olympic and World Class athletes, College and Professional Teams in the NFL, MLB, Basketball, Hockey, Rugby and Soccer by using MobilityWOD to train and compete at your best. Visit www.mobilitywod.com to receive receive 20% off your annual membership with code JULIEFOUCHER.
This episode is also brought to you by Butcher Box. Butcher Box delivers 100% grass-fed and finished beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage-breed pork directly to your doorstep, on your schedule. You can order curated or custom boxes of meat, and they always come with recipe ideas for you to explore. Visit www.butcherbox.com and use code JULIE20 at checkout to recieve an exclusive offer for being a listener of Pursuing Health: $20 off your order + a free order of bacon!
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.