“When I was introduced to CrossFit, it was one of those things where I fell in love – and as many people have probably already heard – I fell in love with the community. And that was that team aspect that I was craving for again. And I fell in love with it – and to to this day community is the biggest piece of importance for me.” – Becca Voigt
Since 2008, Becca Voigt has competed in the CrossFit Games every single year, an accomplishment no other athlete can claim. As a true veteran of the sport, Becca has grown and adapted to the ever-changing demands of competition over the past decade. She’s consistently finished in the top half of the field, and earned a spot on the podium with a 3rd place finish in 2011. Becca was awarded the 2014 Spirit of the Games Award for her positive attitude and sportsmanship through competition. Becca resides in Toluca Lake, California where she trains and runs her affiliate, CrossFit Training Yard.
In this episode we discuss:
- Becca’s childhood and influence of her mother, a professional soccer player
- How basketball developed Becca’s passion for team sports
- Finding CrossFit and how the community drew her in
- What Becca does to establish the culture and community at her affiliate
- How Becca’s CrossFit competition career began
- The evolution of the CrossFit Games and Becca’s approach to training
- Becca’s current goals and focus
- Becca’s experience opening and running her own affiliate
- Three things Becca does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on her health
- One thing she struggles to implement that could have a big impact on Becca’s health
- What a healthy life looks like to Becca
- CrossFit Training Yard
- Becca Voigt Built a Box but Won’t Stop There
- Becca Voigt: Spirit of the Games
This episode is brought to you by MobilityWOD. Do you struggle to get into good positions in your training and workouts? Are your movement compensations causing you undue pain and grief? M|WOD’s belief is that every human being should be able to perform basic maintenance on themselves and they’ve been the go-to resource the world’s best athletes and teams for nearly 10 years.
Visit https://www.mobilitywod.com/subscribe/pro-yearly/ and use code JULIEFOUCHER for 20% off your annual membership as a Pursuing Health listener.
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating. I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #PursuingHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday.
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.
Question: It was the community that drew Becca into CrossFit and has propelled her to great success in her competitive career and affiliate. What about CrossFit was most intriguing to you when you first started?