“Yes losing weight is important, but you have to understand that the mental aspect of it is, I would have to say, almost more important. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you have to work on the mental too.” – John Glaude
At just 20 years of age, John David Glaude weighed 360 pounds. After years of struggling with his weight, John was sure he was headed toward a future of significant morbidity, yet he didn’t believe he was capable of changing his course. However, a series of events finally led up to what he describes as his “click moment:” the instant he decided he was going to change his lifestyle. John went on to lose 170 lbs and eventually competed in a bodybuilding competition before he found CrossFit. John has documented his journey on his YouTube channel titled “Obese to Beast” and he continues to serve as an inspiration and resource for others on their weight loss journeys.
In this episode we discuss:
- John’s childhood and being the “big” and “funny” guy in school
- His attempts at weight loss throughout his youth starting in middle school
- John’s high school and college years
- John’s “Click Moment” – when he decided he was going to make a change
- His weight loss journey, and using YouTube as a means to learn as much about the process as possible
- John’s daily habits and changing his focus from nutrition to bodybuilding and his relationship with food
- John’s transition from bodybuilding to CrossFit
- Changes in relationships and confidence in his person and personality
- John’s current daily routine
- John’s advice to start slow: ‘Once you see results, you will be more willing to make another change.’
- Three things John does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on his health
- One thing he struggles to implement that could have a big impact on John’s health
- What a healthy life looks like to John
- John Glaude’s Brave Weight Loss Story on Ellen
- Obese to Beast: John Glaude’s 170-Pound Weight-Loss Journey
- Beyond the Weak: Obese to Beast
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating. I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #PursuingHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday.
This episode is brought to you by MobilityWOD. Do you struggle to get into good positions in your training and workouts? Are your movement compensations causing you undue pain and grief? M|Wod’s belief is that every human being should be able to perform basic maintenance on themselves. Join hundreds of Olympic and World Class athletes, College and Professional Teams in the NFL, MLB, Basketball, Hockey, Rugby and Soccer by using MobilityWOD to train and compete at your best. Visit www.mobilitywod.com to receive receive 20% off your annual membership with code JULIEFOUCHER.
This episode is also brought to you by Thrive Market. By cutting out the middle man, Thrive Market delivers your favorite healthy food and lifestyle products to your doorstep at 25-50% lower cost than you would spend in the grocery store. You can also feel good about giving back because with everyone that signs up for Thrive Market, a free membership is donated to a low-income family, veteran, or teacher, making healthy living affordable to all. Visit http://www.thrivemarket.com/ph to recieve an exclusive offer from Thrive Market for being a listener of Pursuing Health: 25% off your first purchase + free shipping + a free 30 day trial!
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.
Question: Have you ever had a “click moment” where you made a decision to make a big change in your life? Tell me about it in the comments below!