“My dog won’t release the twig in his mouth unless I offer him a huge branch. Alcohol was my twig. CrossFit and recovery is my branch.” – Sobriety WOD
After finding early success as a young champion competitive freestyle skier, Brian Reap fell into to drugs and alcohol after an injury. Addiction had a strong grip on him for many years, and he eventually found himself in Federal prison facing a 5-10 year sentence. It was through CrossFit that Brian was given a second chance – he found his way out of prison with a new passion and purpose in life. Today, Brian is a CrossFit Level 1 Trainer and member of CrossFit Port Royal Sound. He is also a coach for Sobriety WOD, leading free workouts for others searching for sobriety. Brian’s story is real, unique and gives a strong sense hope to others battling addiction.
In this episode we discuss:
- Brain’s athletic background, including his Competitive Freestyle Skiing career
- How Brian fell into drugs and alcohol after an injury
- When Brian realized he had a family history of addiction and suffered from addiction himself
- Brian’s marriage and his early attempts to quit drugs and alcohol
- Brian’s “rock bottom” point; his arrest and sentencing in Federal prison
- Life in prison and Brian’s road to recovery
- How Brian found CrossFit and what attracted him to it
- How Brian discovered Sobriety WOD
- The similarities between CrossFit and Alcoholics Anonymous
- How Brian runs a Sobriety WOD class
- How Brian approaches his everyday life now
- How you and/or your affiliate can get involved
- Advice for addiction and recovery
- Three things Brian does on a regular basis that have the biggest impact on his health
- One thing Brian struggles to implement that could have a big impact on his health
- What a healthy life looks like to Brian
- CrossFit Port Royal Sound
- Sobriety WOD
- Buy the book Breathing Underwater and Living Sober
- Alcoholics Anonymous
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating. I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #PursuingHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday.
This episode is brought to you by MobilityWOD. Do you struggle to get into good positions in your training and workouts? Are your movement compensations causing you undue pain and grief? M|Wod’s belief is that every human being should be able to perform basic maintenance on themselves. Join hundreds of Olympic and World Class athletes, College and Professional Teams in the NFL, MLB, Basketball, Hockey, Rugby and Soccer by using MobilityWOD to train and compete at your best. Visit www.mobilitywod.com to receive receive 20% off your annual membership with code JULIEFOUCHER.
This episode is also brought to you by Thrive Market. By cutting out the middle man, Thrive Market delivers your favorite healthy food and lifestyle products to your doorstep at 25-50% lower cost than you would spend in the grocery store. You can also feel good about giving back because with everyone that signs up for Thrive Market, a free membership is donated to a low-income family, veteran, or teacher, making healthy living affordable to all.
Visit http://www.thrivemarket.com/ph to recieve an exclusive offer to Thrive Market for being a listener of Pursuing Health: 25% off your first purchase + free shipping + a free 30 day trial!
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.
Question: Have you ever experienced a “rock bottom” moment? Maybe it didn’t involve addiction or a prison sentence, but was there ever a time where you felt at your lowest that in retrospect allowed you to become your best? Tell me about it in the comments below.