“I think the sad thing is, our society has accepted the fact that with age, you are going to be a certain way. That is one thing that CrossFit has allowed me is to not be so accepting of that. I can make the bar. I can change the bar and make it a little bit higher. I can push myself to levels to where most 50-year-old guys are going ‘I can’t even do a handstand.’ And I say, yeah you can. You just have to take time to do it.” – Ron Ortiz
Ron Ortiz is a 6-time CrossFit Games Masters Athlete and two-time Champion (2013 Masters Men 45-49, 2016 Masters Men 50-54). At 51 years of age, he is currently competing in the 50-54 year-old category. A firefighter for the past 18 years, Ron discovered CrossFit in 2009. He has become a staple in the CrossFit Games Masters community, and he has also taken his training to the fire station, inspiring other first responders to change their lifestyle. He is husband of 24+ years and a father of three.
In this episode we discuss:
- Growing up in an athletically talented family
- What led Ron to become a firefighter and why he loves his job
- How Ron got started in CrossFit
- The impact of CrossFit on Masters athletes and longevity
- How his approach to training has evolved as a Masters competitor
- The benefits he’s found from individual coaching and working with specialists
- Ron’s approach to nutrition
- Ron’s words of wisdom
- How Ron hopes to influence his children by demonstrating what hard work
- Three things Ron does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on his health
- One thing he struggles to implement that could have a big impact on Ron’s health
- What a healthy life looks like to him
- Chris Hinshaw’s Aerobic Capacity
- Duke Van Vleet
- Jason Leydon
- Fit at 56: Lucie Hobart
- Power Monkey Fitness Camp
- Perfect Fuel Meals
- Boxrock Respect Your Elders
This episode is brought to you by MobilityWOD. Do you struggle to get into good positions in your training and workouts? Are your movement compensations causing you undue pain and grief? M|WOD’s belief is that every human being should be able to perform basic maintenance on themselves and they’ve been the go-to resource the world’s best athletes and teams for nearly 10 years.
Visit https://www.mobilitywod.com/subscribe/pro-yearly/ and use code JULIEFOUCHER for 20% off your annual membership as a Pursuing Health listener.
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating. I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #PursuingHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday.
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.
Question: What are some of the preconceived notions you have about aging? How has CrossFit helped you to redefine what your life will look like as you get older?