“I’ll never forget that. It was recent too – or at least within the last couple years. Someone asked – Greg was doing a Q+A at a Level 1 and one of the participants asked, ‘What’s the most important thing?’ – I don’t know if they said learn or do or know as a trainer. And he just said, ‘Care, care, and care. Everything else you can learn.’ And it’s really true.” – Nicole Carroll
You may know Nicole Carroll from her most recent role providing tips for the workouts each week of the CrossFit Games Open, or as CrossFit‘s Director of Training and Certification. She also happens to be one of the early members of Greg Glassman’s original CrossFit gym in Santa Cruz, CA. She helped to pave the way for generations of CrossFit females to come by performing muscle ups in a video of a workout called Nasty Girls alongside Annie Sakamoto and Eva T, and the workout called Nicole that you’ve probably done before – that was named after her. Since that time, Nicole has been a leader in the development of the CrossFit Training and Certification department and the preservation CrossFit’s core mission and culture even as the movement has grown tremendously over the past several years.
In this episode we discuss:
- Nicole’s background in the arts and yoga and her move to Santa Cruz, CA
- The original CrossFit gym and the early days of the CrossFit Level 1 Seminar
- What led Nicole to take a leadership role in CrossFit Training
- How Nicole’s role and the Level 1 have evolved evolved over the years
- The “Nasty Girls” workout
- Body image and CrossFit
- How the workout “Nicole” got its name
- Nicole’s perfect day
- Words of advice to someone starting CrossFit today
- Three things Nicole does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on her health
- One thing she struggles to implement that could have a big impact on her health
- What a healthy life looks like to her
- Nasty Girls Workout
- Getting off the Crack with Nicole Carroll
- CrossFit Roots
- CrossFit Certifications
- The High Road to Accreditation
- A Day With Seminar Staff in China
- Nasty Girls, Nicole, and the CrossFit Level 3
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating. I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #PursuingHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday.
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.
Question: I’ve always looked up to Nicole as a strong female role model in CrossFit, not only for her physical ability but for her leadership and steadfastness in preserving CrossFit’s core culture. Who is a female that you look up to? Tell me more about her in the comments below.