‘I don’t think the girl who didn’t break her back would have qualified [to the CrossFit Games]. Because, she hadn’t been through the same kind of mental and emotional struggle. Because CrossFit, if you have ever competed, or even competed in your own CrossFit gym; it’s a struggle. You are doing stuff every single day that you are terrible at; and it’s no different for Games athletes. It’s a hard thing to constantly constantly keep putting yourself through…mentally taxing, emotionally taxing because you’re doing stuff all the time that you are bad at.’ – Lindy Barber
Lindy Barber is a former collegiate soccer player turned CrossFit Games athlete. She’s participated in the Reebok CrossFit Games twice as an individual (2013, 2015) and most recently on the two-time defending championship team, CrossFit Mayhem Freedom. Lindy currently trains at CrossFit Mayhem with Rich Froning and the rest of her team. She thrives in the team environment and loves setting goals and overcoming the mental challenges found in competition. She is known within the community for her comeback after a significant back injury and is passionate about promoting awareness of and helping people improve core and back strength in and outside of the fitness world.
In this episode we discuss:
- Growing up in Louisville, Kentucky and playing seven sports
- Lindy’s focus on soccer at the high school and collegiate level at the University of Dayton
- Her decision to step away from collegiate soccer
- How Lindy found CrossFit
- Competing with Julie in some early local competitions
- The 2011 Reebok CrossFit Open and her life-changing back injury
- The perfect storm of 3 spinal conditions: scoliosis, spina bifida and spondylolisthesis
- Rebuilding and determining what ultimately makes her happy
- Returning to competition in 2012 and her experience at the 2012 Regionals
- Qualifying for the 2013 Reebok CrossFit Games
- Reassessing after a difficult 2014 season and making changes in 2015
- How she joined team CrossFit Mayhem Freedom and training for the 2016 season
- The benefits of team vs. individual CrossFit Games competition
- Three things Lindy does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on her health
- One thing she struggles to implement that could have a big impact on Lindy’s health
- What a healthy life looks like to her
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating. I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #PursuingHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday.
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.