“I reached a point about a year and a half ago where I said ‘Do I really enjoy this? Is the pressure getting to me?’ It was actually the injury and being forced to take a step back, where I was able to reframe my relationship with it and have gratitude for just being able to be out there.” – Amelia Boone
Amelia Boone is a full-time corporate attorney and one of the world’s most decorated obstacle racers. Since the sport’s inception five years ago, she’s amassed more than 30 victories and 50 podiums. Some of her career highlights include:
- 3x winner of the World’s Toughest Mudder (2012, 2014, 2015)
- Spartan Race World Champion 2013
- Spartan Race Points Series Champion (2013 & 2015)
- 3x Death Race Finisher (Winter 2012, Summer 2012, Summer 2013)
I’ve admired Amelia’s drive and success in balancing her athletic and legal careers, and I’ve looked to her as an inspiration for my own journey competing the the CrossFit Games while in medical school. I was so glad to finally have the opportunity to sit down and get to know Amelia near her home in the San Francisco Bay area – we had a lot to talk about!
In this episode we discuss:
- Amelia growing up as a ‘jack of all trades’ and team sport athlete
- Her prior experience with long distance running and one and only half marathon
- Entering, training for, and participating in her first Tough Mudder in 2010
- The history of obstacle racing including Tough Mudder and Spartan Racing
- The utility of CrossFit training for obstacle racing
- How she trained creatively while living in urban Chicago
- Balancing life as an attorney while training and racing
- Gaining perspective through an injury and spending the 2016 race season on the sidelines
- Mental vs physical toughness
- Her approach to rehab and recovery after being on crutches for 4 months
- Her new approach to training and rest days
- Three things Amelia does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on her health
- One thing she struggles to implement that could have a big impact on Amelia’s health
- What a healthy life looks like to her
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating. I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #PursuingHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday.
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.