Attention! This week I’ve put together a brief survey to better understand who YOU are and what you’d most like to hear more of on Pursuing Health. If you could take a few moments to complete this voluntary and anonymous SURVEY, I would greatly appreciate it! After completing the survey, you can enter a drawing for a package from my sponsors including a new pair of Reebok Nanos.
“I go into the gym and now I have a group of people that I train with. I have my brothers, I have my family, I have this community around me. That’s what it is really all about. You have to enjoy it, you have to be a good person, you have to take care of people around you, and treat people well.” – Ben Smith
Ben was an avid baseball player growing up and was introduced to CrossFit during his senior in High School in 2008. As a self-instructed athlete, he has had eight appearances at the CrossFit Games, finishing on the podium four times and finally winning the title of “Fittest Man on Earth” in 2015. Ben Smith has a degree in mechanical engineering from Old Dominion University and is the founder and co-owner of his affiliate CrossFit Krypton where he also serves as lead programmer and coach. His personal philosophy is that through hard work and dedication anything is possible. We sat down at the 2017 Reebok Athlete Summit to catch up on his life and career as a CrossFit Games athlete.
In this episode we discuss:
- Ben’s background playing sports from his youth through college
- How he found CrossFit
- Owning and running his affiliate, CrossFit Krypton
- The CrossFit Games from 2009 to now
- What motivates him to train year after year
- How his training and goals changed after winning the Games in 2015
- The benefits of playing other sports
- A typical day in Ben’s life
- Three things Ben does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on his health
- One thing he struggles to implement that could have a big impact on Ben’s health
- What a healthy life looks like to him
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating. I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #PursuingHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday.
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.