Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 45:17 — 41.5MB)
Subscribe: iTunes | Android |
In this episode, I sit down with Pat Sherwood. Pat has been deeply involved in CrossFit for over 10 years. He served in the US Navy as a SEAL from 1997 to 2004, and it was shortly after this in August of 2005 that he found CrossFit. He served on CrossFit Seminar Staff from 2008 to 2011, traveling the world teaching CrossFit methodology and functional movements at over 180 seminars during a period when the seminars were evolving rapidly into what they are today. He eventually made the switch to working with CrossFit Media, where you may recognize him as a staple host and analyst on the CrossFit Games Update Show over the past 5 years. He is also a Level 4 Certified CrossFit Coach, owner of CrossFit Linchpin, which provides customized monthly programming for CrossFit affiliates, AND he competed in the CrossFit Games as an individual in 2009. He’s also well known for various projects including “Go South” where he traveled through South America on his motorcycle visiting CrossFit affiliates, and the Zone Chronicles. There are few people who have experienced and understand the CrossFit community as well as Pat, and I was ecstatic to sit down with him and pick his brain for a few minutes on this episode.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How Pat got started with CrossFit and his first CrossFit workout
- What he learned from his experience as a flomaster of CrossFit Level 1 seminars
- His transition from the Seminar Staff to CrossFit Media
- The role of the CrossFit Games in the grand scheme of CrossFit
- His advice for someone who is just starting CrossFit (and how this differs now from what he might have said in 2007)
- His advice for someone who wants to start competing in CrossFit
- What he has learned from having to scale workouts due to injury
- His “relaxed” approach to nutrition
- Three things he does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on his health
- One thing he struggles to implement that could have a big impact on his health
- What a healthy life looks like to him
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes
and give it a rating! I’d love to hear all of your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #JFHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday. Don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter above so you never miss out on another episode.
If you or someone you know has an inspiring story about using lifestyle to overcome disease, please share by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
. I will continue to feature stories like this in the future.
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.