In this episode, I sit down with 4-time CrossFit Games competitor Scott Panchik and his father Dave to discuss their affiliate, CrossFit Mentality.
Scott, along with his siblings, has always been very active and played football at the University of Mount Union where he studied Health and Physical Education. There he was on two National Championship-winning teams and earned Academic All-American honors. He then went on to teach health and physical education at Mentor High School where he also ran the school’s strength and conditioning program and coached wrestling and football. It was during this time that his father Dave introduced him to CrossFit and he began training for the CrossFit Games. He placed 4th at the Games in 2012 and 2013, 5th in 2014, and took 6th place in 2015 despite battling a serious foot injury. A couple of years ago, Dave made the decision to retire from teaching Elementary School and move from Pittsburgh, PA to Mentor, Ohio with the rest of the family to open a CrossFit affiliate with Scott. Since that time the Panchik family has been working together to build CrossFit Mentality into a thriving and successful affiliate.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Growing up in the Panchik family
- Scott’s experience playing football and studying health and physical education at Mount Union
- How Dave found CrossFit and introduced it to the Panchik family
- How CrossFit helped Scott in his football career and how he then evolved to compete at the CrossFit Games
- How their affiliate, CrossFit Mentality, came about
- Using what they’ve learned as teachers in their role as CrossFit coaches
- How CrossFit has brought their family closer together
- Their approach to running their gym and how they work together as a family
- A typical day for the Panchik family
- A program they run for high school students to provide long-term skills for fitness
- Recovering from recent foot injuries: Scott’s experience competing at the 2015 Games with a torn plantar fascia, and Dave’s ankle reconstruction
- How the recovery process has impacted them as athletes and coaches
- Three things they do on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on their health
- One thing they struggle to implement that could have a big impact on their healt
- What a healthy life looks like to them
You can follow the Panchiks at www.crossfitmentality.com and on Dave and Scott’s Instagram and Scott’s Twitter accounts.
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating! I’d love to hear all of your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #JFHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday! Don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter above so you never miss out on another episode.
If you or someone you know has an inspiring story about using lifestyle to overcome disease, please share by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. I will continue to feature stories like this in the future!
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.