In his 20’s Pete Katz was an active, healthy guy – he competed in triathlons, was a vegetarian, and at one point even ran a health food store. A knee injury, a demanding job, and family life eventually took over and he eventually found himself overweight and with a growing list of diagnoses and medications. On multiple occasions, he tried different diet and exercise interventions to lose weight, but would always end up right back where he started again. After 20+ years of ups and downs, the threat of having to take an injectable medication for his type 2 diabetes was the last straw, and Pete started a Paleo diet and joined his local CrossFit affiliate, CrossFit Painesville. I first met Pete in his primary care physician Dr. Isaacson‘s office as a second year medical student at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine. Dr. Isaacson serves as the Assistant Dean for Clinical Education at my school, and he is well known among medical students as a master of developing meaningful relationships with his patients and partnering with them to improve their health.
In this episode of Pursuing Health, Pete, Dr. Isaacson, and I sit down to discuss Pete’s journey back to health and how he has cured himself of chronic diseases including type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, and anxiety. In our conversation, we address:
- Pete’s background with sports growing up and doing triathlons in college
- How Pete started to see his health decline after a knee injury and increased work demands
- The onset and progression of diseases including anxiety, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and sleep apnea
- Previous approaches Pete took to lose weight
- How Pete found the Paleo diet and subsequently joined his local CrossFit affiliate
- His dramatic transformation with his new lifestyle
- Pete’s biggest CrossFit milestones and how his time in the gym translates into life and work challenges
- Dr. Isaacson’s experience as Pete’s physician over the past 20+ years and his experience treating patients with chronic diseases
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating! I’d love to hear all of your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #JFHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday! Don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter above so you never miss out on another episode.
If you or someone you know has an inspiring story about using lifestyle to overcome disease, please share by emailing email@example.com. I will continue to feature stories like this in the future!
Disclaimer: This podcast is meant to share the experiences of various individuals. It does not provide medical advice, and it is not a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional.