Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 27:09 — 24.9MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android |
Jenny LaBaw is a 2-time Reebok CrossFit Games athlete, finishing 6th overall in 2011 and taking 1st in the 2012 Northern California Regional. In 2013 she inspired the CrossFit community by completing the CrossFit Games Open workouts each week despite having a broken foot. Jenny has been an athlete her entire life, playing collegiate soccer and track and field. She is also a very talented trainer, helping individuals to reach their fitness goals, big and small, and ultimately lead healthier lives.
Few people knew that Jenny had epilepsy until she released a video in 2012 about her struggle. While she was nervous to talk about it at first, she was overwhelmed by the support of the CrossFit community and the number of people who reached out to her in a similar situation. This year, she has decided to follow her heart and do something BIG to improve epilepsy research and education. Starting September 19th, she began a one-month, 500-mile run across the Colorado Rocky Mountains, stopping at various CrossFit affiliates along the way to connect with the community and guest coach some classes. With this effort, she’s set a goal of raising $50,000 for research and education through the Epilepsy Foundation. She hopes to not only raise awareness of epilepsy, but to also encourage individuals to live fully and overcome all obstacles they are faced with in life.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How Jenny was first diagnosed with epilepsy
- What symptoms Jenny has experienced now and in the past
- Why she thinks leading a healthy lifestyle has helped to control her seizures
- Why Jenny decided to take on this 500-mile run and how she is preparing
- The details of her upcoming 500-mile run across Colorado and how you can support her
- Three things she does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on her health
- One thing she struggles to implement that could have a big impact on her health
- What a healthy life looks like to her
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes
and give it a rating! I’d love to hear all of your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #JFHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday!