Chris Hinshaw has an extensive endurance background as an all-american swimmer and professional triathlete with multiple podium finishes at the Ironman World Championships.
Chris started CrossFit about 6 years ago as a way to regain his own functionality, and he has done an amazing job of bringing his extensive knowledge and coaching abilities from the endurance world into CrossFit.
He is the head coach for the NorCal CrossFit Endurance program which has 50+ members. He also shares his methodology in his aerobic capacity seminar and through online programming for individuals and gyms at aerobiccapacity.com where he has over 400 members. He coached and/or programmed for multiple teams and individuals at the 2015 Reebok CrossFit Games including CrossFit Mayhem Freedom, UTE CrossFit, NorCal CrossFit, and Kinnick. He personally coaches 23 games individual athletes, including 4 individual podium finishers at the 2015 CrossFit Games, and 9 podium finishers within the past 3 years. He also dedicates time working with adaptive athletes such as Stephanie Hammerman and Kevin Ogar.
In this episode, we sit down to discuss:
- Chris’s career as a world-class Ironman triathlete and what his training was like for nearly a decade
- How he discovered CrossFit and its impact on his life and health
- Bringing CrossFit to the endurance community and vice versa
- How he assesses an athlete’s aerobic capacity needs
- Our experience working together this year and how he helped me to reach my 400m TT PR milestone
- How he manages coaching and programming for so many athletes
- What drives him to help make athletes better through his endurance programming and coaching
- Three things he does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on his health
- One thing he struggles to implement that could have a big impact on his health
- What a healthy life looks like to him
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating! I’d love to hear all of your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #JFHealth. In two weeks, I’ll be answering all of your questions so please let me know what you’d like me to talk about. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday!