*I apologize for the poor audio quality, we had some technical difficulties on this one*
Dr. Mark Hyman is the founder and medical director of the UltraWellness Center, Chairman of the Institute for Functional Medicine, and Director of the Center for Functional Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic. He is also an 8-time New York Times bestselling author. He is dedicated to tackling the root causes of chronic disease by harnessing the power of Functional Medicine to transform healthcare. He works every day to empower people, organizations, and communities to heal their bodies and minds, and improve our social and economic resilience.
I first met Dr. Hyman at the Cleveland Clinic where I attend medical school. I had become frustrated with certain aspects of medicine during my early medical training, but the more I learn about Functional Medicine, the more I believe this is the medicine of the future. From my vantage point, Functional Medicine is creating a revolution in medicine much like CrossFit has in fitness.
In this episode, I sit down with Dr. Hyman to discuss:
- What is Functional Medicine?
- How Dr. Hyman found Functional Medicine and why he started practicing medicine this way
- His view of the future of medicine
- What he is working on at the Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine
- His experience volunteering with Partners in Health in Haiti and the importance of community in creating health
- Three things he does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on his health
- One thing he struggles to implement that could have a big impact on his health
- What a healthy life looks like to him
For more about Functional Medicine:
- Institute for Functional Medicine
- Functional Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic
- Investing in Functional Medicine to Cure Disease not Soothe Symptoms
- Functional Forum
For more about Dr. Hyman, visit his website, follow him on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram, or check out his previous talks at TEDMED below:
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating! I’d love to hear all of your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #JFHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday!