Rich Froning is the reigning and four-time Fittest Man on Earth. He has competed at the CrossFit Games since 2010 as an individual, but this year he will appear at the Games with his team, CrossFit Mayhem Freedom. I’ve had the opportunity to get to know Rich a little bit over the past several years, as we both competed on Team USA at the CrossFit Invitational in 2012 and 2014 and on Rogue Team Black during the 2014 CrossFit Team Series.
I’ve recently spent time in Cookeville, TN training with his team and getting to know his community at CrossFit Mayhem. I’ve always been impressed by how competing in CrossFit has helped Rich to discover his purpose in life, and how he has used his platform to positively impact so many people.
In this episode, we talk about:
- The workouts our dads do
- His mental and physical transition from individual to team CrossFit Games competition
- The biggest challenges of preparing for team competition
- His CrossFit Games Central Regional 2015 experience
- How his life has changed from before he found CrossFit to now
- The impact of CrossFit on Cookeville and his local community
- How re-prioritizing and reconnecting with his faith after adversity at the 2010 CrossFit Games led him to four consecutive CrossFit Games titles
- His outlook on using his fitness for life rather than competition
- His plans for the future and how he hopes to be remembered as a CrossFit Games athlete
- Three things he does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on his health
- One thing he struggles to implement that could have a big impact on his health
- What a healthy life looks like to him
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating! I’d love to hear all of your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #JFHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday!