Dr. Michael Canales was a gymnast at Ohio State University from 1996-1999 where he was a member of the 1996 NCAA championship team and several Big 10 Championship teams. He has since mentored and coached several Olympians and continues to provide mentorship to the Ohio State Men’s gymnastics program today. He is also a practicing foot and ankle surgeon at St. Vincent Charity Medical Center in Cleveland, OH. I first met Mike and his wife Dominique Moceanu, member of the 1996 women’s Olympic gold-medal winning gymnastics team, over 2 years ago when I was searching for gymnastics coaches to supplement my CrossFit Games training. We have since worked together on a regular basis and developed a close friendship.
After my Achilles tendon injury at the Central Regional, Mike was one of the first people I turned to. He performed my Achilles repair surgery the week after my injury and has supported me throughout my recovery process. In Part 1 of this episode, we sat down to talk about his background, mentorship, and his impressions of Achilles injuries in CrossFit and sport. Here in Part 2 we dive into my specific injury in more detail and our experience as well has his pursuit of excellence and virtuosity in all areas of his life.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Mike’s reaction to my Achilles tendon injury and performance at the 2015 CrossFit Games Central Regional
- How he balanced his roles as my coach, mentor, friend, and surgeon in the time surrounding my injury
- What motivates Mike to strive for excellence and virtuosity in every area of his life
- Three things he does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on his health
- One thing he struggles to implement that could have a big impact on his health
- What a healthy life looks like to him
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating! I’d love to hear all of your feedback in the comments below and on social media using the hashtag #JFHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every other Tuesday!